Losing your Iqama (Residential Permit) in Saud Arabia can be the cause of a major heart attack. You direly need the Iqama as proof of your legal residence in Saudi Arabia. If you are ever suspected of being an illegal resident Iqama is your only defense.
Moreso, surviving even a day without iqama is nearly impossible in Saudi Arabia as you will need it everywhere: at the doctor’s clinic, at the bank and even while commuting from one place to another.
So, you are supposed to ensure you never lose the Iqama in the first place.
How to Never Lose Your Iqama in Saudi Arabia
Here are some handy tips to keep your Iqama safe:
- Always carry your Iqama in your wallet, never carry it loosely in your pocket or handbag.
- Use a wallet with a transparent pocket that allows you to display your iqama without taking it out repeatedly.
- At the back of your Iqama stick a tiny note carrying your Mobile Number and email address. This will ensure that if your Iqama is ever lost the person who finds it can contact you immediately.
What to do if you lost your Iqama
Ok, so you lost your Iqama. Relax, and think straight. Here is the first thing you need to do: try looking for the Iqama.
- First recall when was the last time you saw your Iqama and where.
- Take a pen and paper and make a list of all the places you went to since then.
- Visit all those places and look patiently for your Iqama and even ask around to make sure if anyone found it.
If this helps you find your Iqama, you are extremely lucky. However, if you are certain there is no way to find it, then lose no time and file the report.
Filing missing Iqama report
The first thing you need to do is to approach your sponsor/ company HR person concerned. Explain that you lost your Iqama and need a new one. You will have to do the following:
- Make a written note describing where and how you lost your Iqama.
- The sponsor/ company will arrange the Arabic version of your note on the company letterhead.
- The official letter from your company (which will require chamber of commerce attestation if its in private sector) has to be then shown to the police.
- In addition to the note you have to pay a fine of SAR 1000
- Depending on the duration of your Iqama you have to pay Iqama fee. If the validity is upto 1 year, the fee is 650 SAR.
- Finally, someone from your company will visit Jawazat with the following documents:
- The official lost iqama report
- Copy of your old Iqama
- Two passport sized photographs
- Receipt of fine paymentof 1000 SAR
- Receipt for Iqama fee
- Filled Jawazat form for lost passport
Once all these documents are submitted at Jawazat you will hopefully get your Iqama on the same day or on the next working day.
So yeah, lost your Iqama just before the weekend? Tough luck!